Friday, August 13, 2010

Peachy Chicken

About 9 or 10 years ago, I used to cook a recipe called "Peachy Chicken" ALL THE TIME!! I have been searching for the recipe for the past few months. I thought I had gotten it off the internet somewhere, and that I would NEVER find it again. Then, about a week ago, I was thumbing through Sylvia's Family Soul Food Cookbook (one of the only cookbooks in my HUGE collection that I ACTUALLY use on a regular basis) and lo and behold, there was the recipe I was looking for!! I could not believe it had been right under my nose this ENTIRE time! It seems like a really odd combination or flavors, but it is truly delicious! I highly recommend removing the skin from the chicken before cooking, or else you will end up with soggy skin.

3 1/2 lb. chicken, cut into eighths
2 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
16 oz can sliced cling peaches in syrup
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. soy sauce

Sprinkle lemon pepper, salt and pepper over both sides of the chicken. Allow to sit in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes, preferably a few hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Drain the syrup from the peaches into a bowl. Add lemon juice and soy sauce, mix thoroughly.

Place chicken in a baking dish. Pour syrup mixture over the top.

Cook, uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour, turning half way through.

Add peach slices to the baking dish. Cook an additional 15 minutes.

0 comments: