Monday, July 5, 2010

Roasted Chicken

So, today I decided to make a roasted chicken. Since I live alone, I used a small fryer (about 3 lbs). First, I rubbed the chicken with about 2-3 Tbsp. of olive oil. Then I sprinkled about 1/2 tsp. of adobo, 1/2 tsp. black pepper, 1/2 tsp. dried thyme and two packets of sazon and rubbed it into the chicken. Then I put the chicken in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The chicken SHOULD HAVE been done at this point, but unfortunately the BREAST took longer than the legs to cook. When I checked the temperature of the thigh, it was 175, while the breast still had a tinge of pink inside it, and only read 164 on the thermometer. I think the problem was that the chicken MAY NOT have been fully defrosted in the breast area when I popped it in the oven. So, I raised the temperature of the oven to 400 and roasted for 15 more minites. After that, the breast read 178. I was worried it would be dry (since I have been told you should only cook chicken to 170 degrees, but it was not. It was perfectly moist and delicious, with a nice crispy red skin. While I am not a huge fan of roasted chicken, I really did enjoy this!

0 comments: