Saturday, May 29, 2010

Chicken and Black Bean Casserole

I made this recipe for my birthday, and my guests LOVED it! It was adapted from a very basic recipe for Mexican Chicken that I saw on Paula Deen's show. My version really does not resemble Paula's very much, except for the use of the cream soups. I KNOW you will enjoy this tasty treat! Please leave a comment and let me know how you like it!

And yes, I know the recipe is kind of decadent, but I am a firm believer in the "everything in moderation" approach to cooking and eating! This would be a GREAT dish to bring to a potluck, so that you can have smaller portions and no leftovers!

4 cups cooked cubed chicken breast
14 oz. can black beans, drained
10 ¾ oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
10 ¾ oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
10 ¾ oz can cheddar cheese soup
1 cup mild salsa
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. black pepper
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
8 burrito sized flour tortillas, cut into 1 inch pieces
16 oz. sour cream

Preheat oven to 350. Mix together chicken, black beans, mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese soup, salsa, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, black pepper and 1 cup of shredded cheddar. Grease a 13X9 casserole dish. Spread a layer of tortillas in the pan. Top with ½ the chicken mixture, and half of the sour cream Add more tortillas, top with other ½ of the chicken and the rest of the sour cream. Top with a final layer of tortillas. Spread the remaining 2 cups shredded cheddar over the top. Bake 30 minutes at 350.

0 comments: