Sunday, May 30, 2010

String Beans (from my 2002 Diary)

I got string beans!!! Like a pound of them!!! Stringbeans rule! Next year, I am going to plant a whole garden with nothing but tomatoes, stringbeas and kale! They are the easiest things in the world to grow... they basically take care of themselves. Collard greens? The bunnies got them! Cabbage? Flopsy, Mopsy, and Peter Cottontail strike again! Zucchini, okra, eggplant? All miserable failures! I think you need to actually do something to grow them. I want some veggies that you plant, and then eat. Watering? Let the sprinkler do that! Weeding? Dammit, crab grass needs to live too! Pest control? Not in the mood! Gimme some nice and easy tomatoes, string beans, and kale any day! And gardening is supposed to be relaxing? It is if you don't have to actually do anything!

OK, I am getting a little too enthused about my damn string beans, but hey, I'm growing stuff! I feel like a little kid when the teacher gives you a styrofoam cup filled with potting soil and a bean, and lets you grow it on the windowsill. Or like the time we planted four leaf clover seeds in a sponge for the Gifted Program! Yes, on a sponge, I kid you not! Like a no frills Chia Pet.

0 comments: