Sunday, May 30, 2010

Kitchen Mishaps

Last night I decided to grill the Pul-Kogi (Korean BBQ beef) I had gotten from Trader Joes. So, I took out the electric grill, heated it up and started to cook.

In a big skillet on the stove I made my own version of fried rice. I just took two boxes of white rice that the local Chinese restaurant had sent over with my last order and added it to a pan of sauteed onions in vegetable oil. I added some minced garlic, some Kikkoman stir fry sauce, a little bit of light soy sauce and lots of black pepper. I was going to add a cooked scrambled egg to the rice, but I got lazy. After it was thoroughly mixed, I spread it on the bottom of the pan, put the heat on low, and let it cook until it got a little crispy. Then, stirred it, and let the bottom crisp up again. Yummy.

So, while the beef was cooking, I made sure the lights were off, the AC was off, all other appliances were off. I have a tendency to blow fuses by leaving too many things on at once. So, here I am, cooking in the dark, and I flip over the beef, and set the time for 5 more minutes. After about two minutes, I decide to throw the mushrooms I had made the day before in the microwave, completely forgetting that the last time I used the microwave and the grill at the same time, the lights all went out.

Of course, after about 30 seconds, I blew a fuse. Luckily, I was able to salvage the meal, since the beef was pretty much cooked through by then, but I had to eat the mushrooms cold. Luckily, my landlord called the tenants upstairs and they turned the electricity back on, though it was kind of interesting eating dinner in the dark.

So, what are some of your kitchen mishaps and disasters?

0 comments: