Friday, June 11, 2010

Cabbage Soup

Many years ago, when my mother first joined Weight Watchers, she used to make a "free" cabbage soup. I LOVED it! I used to eat a bowl every day, because she always kept it on hand. Sometimes I used to eat it cold, straight from the fridge. I searched all over for the original recipe, but none of the recipes I found sounded exactly like the soup my mother made. So, I decided to combine the recipes I found into my own version, which is pretty darn close to what I remember my mother cooking! I made myself a HUGE pot of this soup a few months ago, and ended up with so much soup that I was eating it for a week, PLUS I froze a margarine tub full, AND I gave a few servings to my sister! I hope you enjoy!

NOTE: I love my soup well seasoned. I do not measure, so I have estimated the amount of each seasoning I use. Feel free to adjust for your own taste!

1 large head cabbage, shredded or chopped
2 large onions, chopped
28 ounces canned chopped tomatoes
2 green peppers, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
6 carrots, sliced
10 oz box green beans
2 12 oz. cans V8
2 packages Lipton onion soup mix, or any dry onion soup mix
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
4 bouillon beef cubes


Put all vegetables and the V8 in a big pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, stir in the soup mix, herbs, and bouillon cubes, and boil gently for 10 minutes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until all the vegetables are soft.

0 comments: