Thursday, June 17, 2010

Curry Shrimp Linguine

I discovered this delicious recipe a few months ago in one of the Taste of Home magazines. I have to say, TOH never fails to please when it comes to tasty, down home cooking. Simplicity is the word of the day when it comes to the Taste of Home family of magazines. (I subscribe to Taste of Home, Simple and Delicious, and Healthy Cooking) I also love to visit their message boards... where it is about more than just cooking. I have met some wonderful people through Taste of Home.

I like to buy two pound bags of shrimp when they are on sale. I LOVE shrimp, but rarely cook them. When I do, I usually make a shrimp and garlic pasta. But, I spotted this recipe and decided I had to try it! Personally, I like my curry with a little more heat, so I added a pinch of cayenne pepper to the dish as well. Word of warning: DO NOT attempt to toast the cayenne (if you decide to add it) with the curry. I made that mistake and was choking for about 10 minutes!! I also increased the amount of cilantro used in the recipe (I basically doubled it, since I enjoy cilantro so much!) I also changed the type of pasta, I actually used whole wheat spaghetti.

Try this recipe, you will love it!

* 1 package (16 ounces) linguine
* 3 teaspoons curry powder
* 1 can (14 ounces) light coconut milk
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1-1/4 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
* 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro

Cook linguine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, toast curry powder for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the coconut milk, salt and pepper
.
Bring to a boil. Add shrimp; cook for 5-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain linguine; toss with shrimp mixture and cilantro.

0 comments: