Sunday, June 13, 2010

Ambrosia Salad

I remember eating ambrosia salad when I was a child. I first tried it at one of my elementary school playmate's house. I begged my Mom to get the recipe, which she did. Then, I forgot all about ambrosia. Once in a blue moon, the memory would pop up, but I never actually bothered to try to make it.

Then, I went to a party. Ambrosia was being served. I went nuts!! It was so tasty and delicious, and slightly different (in a good way) than the ambrosia salad I ate as a child. The person who made the dish told me he used sour cream. If I am not mistaken, the recipe I ate as a child included cool whip instead.

I made this for a family gathering, and it got a great reception, and took only seconds to make (and a few hours to chill). It went over very well, and some ate it as a side dish, while others treated it as dessert.

* 2 8 oz. cans mandarin oranges, drained
* 2 15 oz. can fruit cocktail , drained
* 2 cup miniature marshmallows
* 1 cup flaked coconut
* 2 cup sour cream

Strain the fruit and pour into an aluminum pan. Add the mini marsh mellows and coconut. Mix in the sour cream. Chill before serving.

0 comments: