Saturday, June 5, 2010

Salmon Cakes

I have made this recipe many times, it is my favorite use for canned salmon. It comes from Sylvia's Family Soul Food Cook Book.


I have a huge collection of cookbooks, however due to space restraints, most of them are in boxes in my closet, and totally inaccessible on a regular basis. But, I do have a collection of about 20 books that I refer back to on a regular basis, either for actual recipes or for inspiration for my own creations. This cookbook is one that I feature prominently on my living room bookshelf.

I have not yet had to opportunity to go to Sylvia's Restaurant in Harlem, but I have made many of her recipes at home, and all have turned out wonderfully. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.

5 slices soft white bread
15 oz can salmon
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2-4 tsp vegetable oil

1. Tear the bread into small pieces and place in a medium bowl.
2. Drain the juices from the salmon over the bread and toss.
3. Add the salmon to the bowl with the bread. Add the eggs, onion, pepper and salt. Toss to combine.
4. Heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium high heat until the oil bubble when some bread crumbs are dropped in. Drop the salmon mixture by heaping soupspoonsful into the hot oil (make as many as fit in the skillet without touching). Fry until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn and fry until the other side is browned, about 3 minutes more. Remove from the skillet and drain on paper towels. Continue with the remaining salmon mixture until it is all cooked, adding more oil if necessary.
Makes 4 servings.

Note: I usually shape the salmon patties into a disk with my hands before adding to the pan.

0 comments: