Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Stewed Chicken

It took me FOREVER to come up with this recipe. I tried so many different methods of cooking this dish, until I came up with one that suited my tastes. See, I have a TON of cookbooks. But, I do not use them very often, and when I do, it is usually just as a jumping off point to create my own dishes.

A few years ago, I lived with a family from Grenada. I observed the way they cooked, the ingredients and methods they used, and adapted their style to my own taste. I have tried so many different methods of cooking stewed chicken it is ridiculous. I used to add green bell peppers strips. At one point I tried adding andouille sausage. I also experimented with smoked sausage, different cuts of chicken, and different cooking times.

I knew I had a winner with this dish when a friend of mine told me I should bottle the sauce and sell it in stores. But, what was most satisfying to me was when a West Indian friend ate it and told me it was delicious. Now, I am NOT claiming that it is authentic. It is kind of my Italian American take on a Caribbean classic.

6 chicken thighs, skin removed
6 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup ketchup
1-2 Tbsp. hot sauce
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp allspice
2 Tbsp vegetable oil


Place chicken in a large plastic bag. Add celery, onion, carrots , garlic, ketchup, hot sauce, paprika, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, basil and allspice. Squeeze and shake bag to distribute all ingredients evenly. Let marinate in refrigerator at least one hour, up to overnight. Heat oil in a deep pot or dutch oven. Add chicken and vegetable mixture to the pot. Stir thoroughly to distribute ingredients evenly. Add enough water to cover halfway. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer. Cook on low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, and adding water if pot begins to dry out.

Note: I prefer to use my case iron dutch oven. You can cook this up to 2 hours if you wish the meat to be falling off the bones.

0 comments: