Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Hell's Kitchen

Hell's Kitchen premiered tonight. I am still watching the first episode of the season right now. I have considered many times going to culinary school, since I love cooking, but figured I would have to wait until I was more physically fit. But, watching this show has made me realize that I would not be MENTALLY fit to work in a restaurant.

I so not respond well to high pressure. I am very competitive and I do not like to be in second place. I have a tendency to give up unless I am on top. Definitely not a good trait in the restaurant industry. I cook so that people can ENJOY my food. I get very upset if someone does not like something I cook. I take personal offense when someone leaves more than half the food on the plate, or tells me it is "OK". God forbid I have someone like Gordon Ramsey breathing down my neck and telling me my food sucks!! I think I would run into the bathroom and cry like a little girl.

I think it takes a certain amount of arrogance to be a successful chef. You really have to believe in your own worth, AND feel like no one else can do what you do. There is no room for bashfulness or low self esteem in the professional kitchen.

I have a friend who tells me all the time he wants to be on Hell's Kitchen. He swears up and down that he would curse right back and Chef Ramsey if the man was up in his face. I told him that is the surest way to get fired. But, watching the show, I think that cockiness and attitude is an asset in Hell's Kitchen.

I think I will stick to being a home cook. I know my friends and family appreciate what I cook for them, and personally, I would rather impress the people I love than a bunch of strangers, who probably would not appreciate my efforts. Food is love to me, and a rejection of my food is a rejection of my love. And, I am REALLY bad at handling rejection!

0 comments: