Friday, June 25, 2010

Grandma's Pitsate Cookies

Every year at Christmas time, Grandma would make these delicious Italian cookies. They are not very sweet, and they are not very pretty, but they ARE very TASTY! I was so grateful to find this recipe after my Grandma passed. These were always my favorite cookies... I could eat a whole tray of them. Since I have never been big on baking, I have never actually made these myself. But, I just recently began to enjoy making baked goods, so I definitely will have these in mind when I make holiday cookies!! Christmas is just not Christmas without these yummy treats!

Ingredients

For cookies:
* 1 lb. chopped roasted almonds
* 4 cups flour
* 2 tsp. baking powder
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 3 1/2 tsp. Nestle Quik
* 1 cup coffee
* 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
* 4 eggs
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1 1/2 tsp vanilla OR almond extract
* Zest of one lemon
* Zest of one orange

For glaze:
* 1 c. powdered sugar
* 2 tbsp. water
* 2 tbsp. lemon juice

Directions

* Combine all of the cookie ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Roll out into 3/4 inch thick ropes. Cut diagonally into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Bake at 350 fpr 12 minutes. Meanwhile, make glaze out of confectioners sugar, water, and lemon juice, adding liquids gradually until it reaches the desired consistency. Let cookies cool, then dip into lemon glaze.

2 comments:

The Housewife said...

Grandma's recipes are always the best... I don't know how or why but it just happens to be so! :) I'm glad you found the recipe.

Joanna said...

Definitely! My grandma was an awesome Italian cook, and I love making her recipes! I cannot wait to make these cookies for myself!