Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cheesy Grits and Eggs

I love grits with scrambled eggs and cheese. I can have that for breakfast EVERY DAY. But, cooking the grits with butter and fatty cheddar or American cheese can be kind of dangerous when you are trying to eat healthier. So, I devised this recipe so that I can enjoy tasty, cheesy grits with a lot less fat and calories. I know to some it seems odd to use chicken broth for grits, but believe me, it lends a wonderful flavor. I used a chicken cube, so it has no fat. Now, on occasion, I will still eat the standard buttery, cheesy grits, but for an every day meal, this is a tasty substitute.

1 1/4 cups chicken broth (or 1 1/4 cups water and a chicken cube)
1/4 cup quick grits
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 wedges light garlic and herb cheese (laughing cow)
1/4 cup southwestern egg substitute (you can use plain egg substitute as well)



Bring chicken broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Add grits, garlic powder and black pepper, whisking vigorously.

Bring back to a boil, lower heat to a simmer. Let simmer 3-5 minutes, or until grits are thickened and creamy in texture, stirring often.

Break cheese wedges into smaller pieces, add to the grits. Whisk constantly until the cheese is fully melted. Pour into a bowl.

Meanwhile, spray a small skillet with cooking spray. Add southwestern egg substitute, scramble to desired consistency. Break eggs into bite size pieces, mix into the grits

Note: I did not grow up eating grits. I never even tried grits until I was in my late 20s. For Southerners and grits purists, this recipe may seem like sacrilege, but for an Italian girl from NY, this is a wonderful meal.

0 comments: