Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lemon Poppy Seed Amish Friendship Bread

I went to my doctor's office today. Last time I saw him, I told him I was experimenting with baking, and asked if I could bring some baked goods in for the office to share. See, when my grandmother was alive, she was CONSTANTLY baking banana bread, apple bread, coffee can bread, etc. And she would bring them to the doctor's office, the bank, the supermarket, just about anyone she liked would get baked goods. So, since I am diabetic, I do not want to eat too many sweets myself, and decided to distribute them. So, last night I whipped out a bag of Amish bread starter, let it defrost for a few hours, and made this variation.

I didn't even taste the bread, so I was a little nervous about bringing it to the office. Not too nervous though, because so far, every recipe I have made with the starter has been delicious. Well, as soon as I walked through the door of my apartment after my appointment, I got a phone call from the doctor's office. A member of the office staff and a nurse were on the phone telling me how much they enjoyed the bread, and asking me to share the recipe! So, I figured I would spread the love to my blog too! Enjoy!

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

1 cup Amish friendship bread starter
3 eggs
1 cup oil
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 large box instant lemon pudding
1/4 cup poppy seeds

Mix all ingredient thoroughly.
Grease 2 large loaf pans. Dust the loaf pans with sugar.
Pour the batter evenly in the two pans.
Bake 1 hour. Cool until bread loosens from the pan evenly (about 10 minutes) turn out onto a serving dish.


Note: I have one cup bags of starter in my freezer. You can either take a bag out and baked right away, or feed it for ten days, according to the instructions.
Note: If you do not have access to a starter, you can make your own. This is the recipe. (I have not tried it yet)

0 comments: